Cure those sniffles with simple tips
It’s almost winter again, and already the dreaded flu is making an appearance. If you’ve caught the flu, here are some natural ways to clear up those sniffles and help your body recover naturally.
First though, I need to stress that masking cold and flu symptoms with medication like paracetamol or antihistamines is not good for your immune system. Inevitably, if your body can’t resolve the infection itself, you may get it again three weeks later.
Now to what you should be doing. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on the road to recovery in no time:
- Listen to your body – don’t push through if you know you need to rest. Your work and family will understand.
- Stay home to prevent the virus from spreading
- Keep your fluid intake up – you need to be drinking at least 2 litres of water per day. If you have trouble, hot herbal tea is one good way to get your fluids.
- Eat lots of healthy fresh fruits and vegetables – green smoothies are a great way to get a dose of fruit, vegetables and fluids all in one.
- Take natural medicines to support your immune response
Some of my favourite natural supplements include:
- Echinacea tablets or liquid – this works to boost your immune response and improve the activity of your white blood cells. Echinacea is also very effective at preventing secondary bacterial sinus and chest infections, with none of the side effects associated with antibiotics. However, remember that a top quality liquid Echinacea really grabs on the back of your throat. If it doesn’t, then it doesn’t contain the active ingredients.
- Vitamin C powder – Taking vitamin C can really boost your immune response if taken to bowel tolerance level at the first signs of the flu can often nip it in the bud! Powder is always better than tablets because it gets into your system faster.
- Andro NK – This formula contains a herb called andrographus which stimulates the immune system and is particularly good for chronic viruses such as glandular fever or if you are suffering from re-occurring viral infections.
- Olbas Oil - if you are suffering from sinus, Olbas oil is a great solution. My wife calls it liquid gold –if your nose is blocked, olbas helps to unblock your sinuses and helps the mucous to run. It can be rubbed onto your chest, ears or throat. Olbas oil is definitely a must in your winter medicine cabinet.
- Mullen Health “Chest and cough” herbal mix – this specially formulated herbal medicine is great for chest infections like bronchitis or pneumonia. It works to help bring up mucous from your lungs whilst also boosting your immune systems response.
- Mullen Health “Sinus and throat” herbal mix – Another of our specially formulated herbal medicines for if you’re suffering from a sinus infection or congestion.
Now remember that none of these natural medicines will mask your symptoms. What they WILL do is work to boost your immune response, help you to produce and clear mucous rather than just dry it up, and help to prevent secondary bacterial infections of your sinuses and chest. Most of these formulae are suitable for children and the elderly and we even have safe and very effective formula and natural medicines for babies as well.
If you follow these simple steps, you’ll be ready to take on the world again in no time.
If you have any more questions, you can call us to book a FREE 15 minute chat with one of our Naturopaths to see how we can help you. Call now on (02) 4961 4075.
Yours in health,