Coconut oil is one of the best oils for you – from weight loss benefits to healthy, glowing skin, it has a lot going for it.
If you’ve never tried coconut oil, here are 5 reasons to start:
1. Not all fats make you fat – coconut oil contains naturally occurring short-term medium-chain saturated fat (MCFAs), which are sent straight to your liver and converted into energy as opposed to being stored as fat. These MCFAs are easily digested and actually help stimulate your metabolism and thyroid activity, leading to weight loss.
2. It’s the best oil for cooking – coconut oil is stable enough to resist heat. It won’t turn rancid and oxidize like other oils (yes, including olive).
3. It prevents sugar cravings – next time you reach for the biscuit jar for an afternoon sugar hit, try eating a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil. The good quality fat is more satiating than carbs, and it also gives you energy without the insulin spike (which leads to a slump later on).
4. It won’t increase your cholesterol – MCFAs like coconut oil do not have an adverse impact on cholesterol and are known to reduce the risk of heart disease.
5. It’s great all over – coconut oil isn’t just great for eating, it’s wonderfully hydrating for your skin as well! Apply coconut oil directly to your face and body to keep your skin’s connective tissues strong, reducing the appearance of fine lines and giving you a healthy glow.
There are so many more amazing benefits of coconut oil, but before you race out to buy some, make sure you’re getting the right stuff.
What should I look for?
You want to buy coconut oil that is virgin, organic, unrefined and cold pressed. It should be white in colour when solid and colourless when liquid. It should also smell and taste like coconut – you’ll be surprised by the difference in taste between brands. Expensive doesn’t always mean best, so make sure to read the label.
Our favourite brand is Wild Harvest, which you can buy in store at Mullen Natural Health Centre.
What do I do with it?
Simply put, you can use coconut oil to replace anything you would normally cook with olive oil.
Have you been living with a health condition for years that hasn’t responded to conventional medicine effectively? Or are you simply not feeling your best?
Click here to download our free guide with tips and steps you can take to feel well again, naturally. This guide covers everything you need for healthy living - diet, sleep, stress and supplements.
To gain access* to the practitioner only range
Already have an account? Simply login below
*If approved by a Mullen Health practitioner