This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free and grain-free, as well as paleo and vegetarian-friendly. It does contain eggs.
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Line a spring form cake tin with non stick baking paper.
3. Soak the chia seeds in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. In the meantime, place cocoa, eggs, almond meal, sugar, salt, bicarb and butter in a bowl.
5. Whisk to combine well and break up any lumps (at least 1 mi.nute)
6. Add chia seed jelly and whisk until well combined.
7. Pour into lined cake tin.
8. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until it bounces back when pressed in the middle.
9. Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin.
10. Finish cooling on a wire cooling rack.
This is the basic recipe. It is really about getting you started with the minimum of fuss.
You can add cinnamon (2 teaspoons, and/or ginger (1/2 teaspoon), or coffee (1/4 cup of coffee grinds) to this cake to change the flavour dramatically or as delicately as you like.
A handful of berries is deeeeeelicious as an additional ingredient.
REMEMBER – you can substitute butter for coconut oil or olive oil.
This recipe has been kindly shared by Tania Hubbard from: